Friday, June 7, 2013
Pornography is such a scary thing to me as a mom. I know that as my children grow and learn to use computers I will have to be able and willing to teach them about how and more importantly why to avoid pornography at all costs. This is one evil that is really dangerous because it infiltrates every part of your life even if you don't realize it. The effects of it are almost immeasurable. As a member of the church it is also important that if someone we know encounters this problem we help them remember their worth, and encourage them to let it go and get back on the right path. We must be willing to always offer love and support.
To help fight the growing tide of pornography that threatens to capture the souls of mankind, the Church recently released an anti-pornography website that focuses on the power of Christ’s Atonement. It is located at overcomingpornography.org.
1. "Patrons of pornography also lose the companionship of the Spirit. Pornography produces fantasies that destroy spirituality. “To be carnally minded is death”—spiritual death (Rom. 8:6; see also 2 Ne. 9:39)."
Oaks, Dallin H. "Pornography." GeneralConference April 2005.
2. “Through the enabling and the redeeming power of the Atonement, all those affected in any way by the pernicious plague of pornography may be strengthened to overcome it and be healed of its evil consequences.”
Cardon, Craig A. "New Site Focuses on Overcoming Pornography through Atonement." Church News April 2013
3. "Pornography is especially dangerous and addictive. Curious exploration of pornography can become a controlling habit, leading to coarser material and to sexual transgression. Avoid pornography at all costs. Don't be afraid to walk out of a movie, turn off a television set, or change a radio station if what's being presented does not meet your Heavenly Father's standards. In short, if you have any question about whether a particular movie, book, or other form of entertainment is appropriate, don't see it, don't read it, don't participate." Monson, Thomas S. "Preparation Brings Blessings." Liahona May 2010
4. "Pornography impairs one’s ability to enjoy a normal emotional, romantic, and spiritual relationship with a person of the opposite sex. It erodes the moral barriers that stand against inappropriate, abnormal, or illegal behavior. As conscience is desensitized, patrons of pornography are led to act out what they have witnessed, regardless of its effects on their life and the lives of others."
Oaks, Dallin H. "Pornography." General Conference April 2005.
5. "Satan has become a master at using the addictive power of pornography to limit individual capacity to be led by the Spirit. The onslaught of pornography in all of its vicious, corroding, destructive forms has caused great grief, suffering, heartache, and destroyed marriages. It is one of the most damning influences on earth. Whether it be through the printed page, movies, television, obscene lyrics, vulgarities on the telephone, or flickering personal computer screen, pornography is overpoweringly addictive and severely damaging. This potent tool of Lucifer degrades the mind and the heart and the soul of any who use it. All who are caught in its seductive, tantalizing web and remain so will become addicted to its immoral, destructive influence. For many, that addiction cannot be overcome without help. The tragic pattern is so familiar. It begins with curiosity that is fueled by its stimulation and is justified by the false premise that when done privately, it does no harm to anyone else. For those lulled by this lie, the experimentation goes deeper, with more powerful stimulations, until the trap closes and a terribly immoral, addictive habit exercises its vicious control."
Scott, Richard G. "To Acquire Spiritual Guidance." General Conference October 2009.
6. “That is the way pornography is. This sleazy filth is like corrosive salt. It will eat through your armor if you expose yourselves to it.”
Hinckley, Gordon B "True to the Faith." Ensign, June 1996.
7. "Pornographic or erotic stories and pictures are worse than filthy or polluted food. The body has defenses to rid itself of unwholesome food. With a few fatal exceptions, bad food will only make you sick but do no permanent harm. In contrast, a person who feasts upon filthy stories or pornographic or erotic pictures and literature records them in this marvelous retrieval system we call a brain. The brain won’t vomit back filth. Once recorded, it will always remain subject to recall, flashing its perverted images across your mind and drawing you away from the wholesome things in life.”
Oaks,Dallin H. "Pornography."General Conference, April 2005.
8. "How wonderful are the ways of our Lord. How glorious His promises. When tempted we can substitute for thoughts of evil thoughts of Him and His teachings.”
Hinckley, Gordon B. "A Tragic Evil Among Us." Ensign, Nov 2004.
9. "The permissiveness afforded by the weakening of the laws of the land to tolerate legalized acts of immorality does not reduce the serious spiritual consequence that is the result of the violation of God’s law of chastity.”
Packer, Boyd K. "These Things I Know," General Conference, April 2013.
10. "The worth of a soul lies in ‘its capacity to become as God.’”
President Thomas S.Monson “Tears, Trials, Trust, Testimony” General Conference April 1987